We’re excited to be recruiting for a Communications & Fundraising Lead to join out Communications team in Nairobi, Kenya. We’re looking for a passionate, organised and creative communications specialist.
About Xavier Project
Xavier Project has been working in East Africa for over 10 years delivering education and enterprise initiatives to refugees of all-ages. Through the delivery of community led learning, our mission is to ensure that refugees are able to lead safe and fulfilled lives. Xavier Project is registered as an NGO in Uganda, an international NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK.
The Communications & Fundraising Lead will be a core member of the communications team which seeks to increase the visibility of Xavier Project’s work with refugee communities. A significant part of this role will be nurturing our existing community of supporters/networks and seeking out opportunities to grow our supporter base. This will mainly be done through the delivery of communications, advocacy and fundraising initiatives and events, as well as the delivery of engaging reports and content for online and offline channels. The role will be based in Nairobi but will required to work closely with teams, partners and networks (volunteers etc.) across East Africa and the UK.
- Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and oral)
- An ability to work sensitively with refugee population or demonstrated experience of working with marginalised communities
- Knowledge of design packages such as Adobe – Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Experience of developing assets in line with brand guidelines, including reports, presentations, printed materials
- A good understanding of social media channels and experience of managing pages
- An ability to work respectfully and sensitively with vulnerable individuals and consideration in the handling and distribution of content
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent team player
- Willing to travel within East Africa
Desired but not essential:
- Experience of working in the field of international development
- Experience of collecting and editing photography and film content
- Experience of using WordPress and Mailchimp
- Spoken and written Kiswahilli
Roles & responsibilities
- Contribute creatively to the development of communications, fundraising and advocacy campaigns
- Maximise the fundraising contribution of existing supporters by providing a high level of supporter care on an on-going basis
- Tailored support to our donor audiences – develop and maintain communications with supporter base and provide reports and updates that ensure that our community is active and remain involved in our projects
- Developing regular donor reports with the support of the programme team to prove the success and impact of Xavier Project’s work
- Developing engaging content for online and offline – graphics, photography and/or video – to increase reach and engagement from audiences.
- Working across the brand to keeping communications consistent and support the implementation of brand guidelines
- Keeping the Xavier Project website updated with news, blogs and stories of our work in East Africa
- Supporting with the collection of content from our programmes and community partners – including conducting interviews, written reports, as well as photography and film.
- Support other team members to ensure the success of all Xavier Project hosted events and that the team meets income and expenditure targets
- Ensure reporting deadlines are being met across teams
- To take ownership and responsibility for third party fundraising from individuals, groups and schools as well as regularly researching new prospects to approach for fundraising asks and provide outstanding stewardship and support
- Support with the briefing and training of volunteers/interns who join the communications team for temporary work placements
- Work in partnership with other fundraising teams, partner organisations and Xavier Project team to maximise on the fundraising potential of our supporters
- Support and encourage improved sharing of knowledge and information internally between Xavier Project teams
How to Apply
Please submit you CV, along with a portfolio of examples or linked to any written, design, film or photography work to email@example.com by Monday 2nd March 2020.
In place of the cover letter we request to the following question:
– Explain three approaches you would take through communications to attract and sustain new donors.
Applicants are urged to apply as soon as they can and not wait until the deadline if possible. Candidates should use the subject title: Communications & Fundraising Lead. Please also include the names and contact details of two referees. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information on our work please visit www.xavierproject.org
Xavier Project is an equal opportunity employer and therefore does not discriminate on the basis of religion, race, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation or disability.