Iron Savannah is our annual event hosted in Maili Tisa, Namanga (near the Tanzanian border). Over the last couple of years, we have been unable to host it due to Covid-19 restrictions. For 2021, we are hosting a virtual challenge from November 20th-21st so that you, our international community, can take on the challenge from wherever you are!
As an online participant, you will have the chance to take the challenge on either day – Saturday, 20th and Sunday 21st November depending on your availability. You have the choice to take part in either one or all of the activities depending on your endurance. We suggest the following distances for the challenge:
- Running – 5km, 10km or 21km
- Swimming – 1.2mile
- Cycling – 21mile, 42mile or 112
After you sign-up, please nominate your family/friends. The online registration fee is £21/$21/2,100KSH/21,000UGX. Additionally, we invite participants who would like to run and manage independent fundraisers. In this case, the registration fee will be £5/$5/500KSH/5,000UGX and the minimum amount to fundraise for us would be between £150 – £250.
Why we are fundraising
Refugee-led organisations have been their communities’ first and last line of defence during the recent global pandemic. During the worst days of 2020 when international humanitarian actors paused operations and their staff left the country, it was refugee-led organisations who stepped up and handed out basic needs packages and financial support to vulnerable refugee families of all kinds. Xavier Project was proud to stand alongside them and raise funds, donate goods, and provide logistical support to bolster their efforts.
Now that we are in the recovery phase of the pandemic, our partner refugee-led organisations in Kakuma Refugee Camp are seeking to support refugee entrepreneurs to help their communities and local economies bounce back. All money we raise through Iron Savannah will be given as one-off small grants to refugee entrepreneurs and businesses, identified by our partner refugee-led organisations.
Covid-19 has, without doubt, resulted in challenges in the business sector. With your support, refugee entrepreneurs at Kakuma Refugee Camp will be able to channel the money into their businesses and grow. The grants will be exclusively handled by our refugee-led organisation partners since they are on the ground and understand the needs that these entrepreneurs have.
Although £21 is the minimum donation and registration fee to take part in our Iron Savannah Challenge, please feel free to give more if you can. Remember, the more you donate, the greater the impact your donation will have in the lives of refugee entrepreneurs.
With your support, refugee entrepreneurs can achieve the following:
- £21 / $28 / 3,100 KES will help a refugee farmer buy 10 seedlings
- £70 / $95 / 10,500 KES will help a refugee tailor buy 4 rolls of fabric.
- £90 / $122 / 13,500 KES will help a refugee poultry farmer purchase 125 brooding chicks
Registration and more
- Visit Enthuse to pay your registration fee: https://xavierproject.enthuse.com/cf/iron-savannah-challenge-support-refugee-entrepreneurs
- Google registration form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1apsBFcth_QJ45INdeI5fNJQbF8cI37HSA1ic63Ln0s0/edit
- Join our Strava group to connect with fellow participants and share your training and major challenge experience: https://www.strava.com/clubs/ironsavannahbyxp
- Check our Facebook event page for more updates: https://fb.me/e/15WB2pvXv